Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bottle Rocket

I have a penchant for any film directed by Wes Anderson. He's clever, he knows what he wants, he's brilliant with color palettes, and he has an interesting shot selection. I just watched the film "Bottle Rocket," which stars Owen and Luke Wilson. However, it was not Luke Wilson's performance that I was drawn to. I was immediately attracted to Owen's portrayal of the character Dignan. The writing for this film was brilliant. Dignan is a guy who has dreams, it's just that his dreams consist of being a con man and a thief. It's a goofy tale of friendship, burglaries gone awry, and other awkwardly unfortunate circumstances. It's down to earth and subtle humor. Some people think it's dry and don't appreciate it. I think it's time those individuals re-evaluate their lives. Owen Wilson has really gained my respect lately. I was astonished by his heartfelt performance in "Marley and Me," and he's fantastic in all of Anderson's films. He has a funny voice, though. He also has a nose that sometimes distracts me from seeing anything else in the frame. I wonder how it got so messed up. I think he accidentally bumped into an old amigo in a dark alley, and the first thing the guy thought to himself was, "I wonder how many times I could punch this guy in the face in two minutes." He then proceeded to do just that.


Here's my favorite scene from "Bottle Rocket," which I attempted to write in screenplay format.


INT. CAR - NIGHT

Dignan, Anthony, and Bob sit in Bob's car outside of a bookstore. They are putting on gloves and gathering their guns. Dignan begins to put a piece of tape on his nose. They all look anxious because they are about to rob the bookstore.

ANTHONY
Hey. Why are you putting that tape on your nose?

DIGNAN
(looks over apprehensively)
Exactly.


Adieu.

No comments: